Tuesday, August 14, 2007

When to say less

I read an anonymous ad in Craig's list today that really left me scratching my head. After promising that its product would be the "next brand that has history breaking results and future growth opportunities" and a desire to break into "untraditional distribution networks," the company said it would only speak with those who had 5-years of industry specific experience.

What is wrong with this picture? If they really wanted to be remarkable, why would they hire from a pool of applicants that will be more than likely to do what they've done in the past?

I decided to role the dice for this one by putting my money where my mouth is. I applied without a cover letter. My e-mail was three lines long and it basically said "if you want to be different, then why are you looking inside your industry? If you want to stand out, I'd like to talk to you."

2 comments:

Sona said...

Sounds like spam to me. Rather like the ads that try to not sound like being a telemarketer but that's what the job really is.

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, it was legit. But alas, it was an indication of what it might be like to work for this company.
Rob