Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The 800 lb Gorilla

Even though I haven't had my first interview yet, I can anticipate that the question that will weigh on any prospective employer's mind when they see that the company that I founded closed its doors will be "Why?"
As any entrepreneur can attest, answering this question is gut wrenching. But, nonetheless, as difficult as it is for me to answer it's absolutely vital for a would-be employer to receive a satisfactory answer. After all, for all they know I blew my investors' money on a new boat and took off to Cabo.
After plenty of soul searching, I can honestly say that On The Spot Games failed because its products were not remarkable. For all of my best efforts to change the world and give families and friends a truly unique and rewarding game experience, the products fell short. If done properly, my games would have captured imaginations and delivered "Aha!" moments immediately after opening the box. But, no. That didn't happen. At the end of the day, even though I was able to get my games into the hands of senior executives from major restaurant chains and key retail buyers from the best stores, the cards in the box didn't live up to expectations.

If I were to do it again, On The Spot Games would not start as a one-man show. I wouldn't go much past the concept stage without a starting team that included a shining-star creative person and rock-solid ops/finance person. Before, I thought I could work with quasi-commitments from contractors working for equity. Wrong. If people aren't sold enough on the concept to get on board, then either they are the wrong people or the company isn't worthy. Either way, the concept's a non-starter.

No comments: